We are pleased to announce the launch of our new spinoff company, Mugstitch!
What is Mugstitch?A Mugstitch is an embroidered portrait. Instead of painting with paint, we "paint" with fabric and thread. Upload your photo, place your order, and our team of artists will digitize it, embroider it, frame it, and ship it to you.
Why would I want one?Are you the type of person who would hang a painting of yourself or someone you love on your wall? If not, Mugstitch probably isn't for you. However, Mugstitches make great gifts too! Not only that, but you could hang them in your home, office, church, wherever. Mugstitch is a new medium of portraiture. It makes a great conversation piece. Instead of hanging an oil painting or photos on your wall, why not get a portrait made of sewn fabric?
We got the inspiration for Mugstitch from the many portraits that we've embroidered on the back of people's custom Greek line jackets over the years. You can see some of them in the Mugstitch gallery.
How are they made?
- First we redraw your photo by hand into the computer, breaking it down into a series of shapes that we can manipulate in our software.
- Then we email you a design proof for your approval.
- After that, we laser cut the fabric pieces for applique, then program each stitch to give your portrait an eye-popping effect.
- Then we sew out the design using our state-of-the-art embroidery machines.
- After that, we inspect and clean the embroidered tapestry for accuracy.
- Lastly, we trim it down, mat it in the color that you selected, and frame it in the frame that you chose.
- Then we package it all up carefully and ship it to you.